2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog


Milestones in TCU History

1873

Founded as AddRan Male and Female College, Thorp Spring, Texas. Addison Clark, president (until 1899).

1889

Property given to the Christian Churches of Texas, name changed to AddRan Christian University; J.J. Jarvis president of the board (until 1895).

1895

Moved to Waco, Texas, December; Colonel J.Z. Miller, president of the board (until 1899).

1899

T.E. Shirley, president of the board (until 1909).

1902

Named changed to Texas Christian University; E.V. Zollars, president (until 1906).

1906

Clinton Lockhart, president (until 1910).

1909

T.E. Tomlinson, president of the board (until 1917).

1910

Main building at Waco destroyed by fire, March 22; the University moved to Fort Worth with classes in downtown buildings, September.

1911

Frederick Kershner, president (until 1915); school opened on present campus with main building, Jarvis and Goode halls, September; first endowment received, $25,000, from L.C. Brite.

1912

Fort Worth Medical College adopted as medical department; charter member of the Association of Texas Colleges.

1913

Original Clark Hall completed.

1914

Brite College of the Bible founded, Brite Hall erected.

1915

School of Law added, E.R. Cockrell, principal.

1916

E.M. Waits, president (until 1941); S.J. McFarland, president of the board (until 1927).

1918

Medical College closed due to rising costs.

1920

Endowment of $300,000 attained; School of Law closed.

1921

Gymnasium building completed; recognition by and aid from General Education Board; elected to membership in the Association of American Colleges.

1922

Elected to membership in Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, including accreditation; became member of the Southwest Athletic Conference.

1923

Jubilee celebration of 50th anniversary; $500,000 endowment achieved; the Mary Couts Burnett Trust received.

1925

Mary Couts Burnett Library opened.

1926

Graduate school organized, first field house built.

1927

Van Zandt Jarvis, president of the board (until 1940).

1928

University placed on approved list of Association of American Universities.

1930

New stadium erected on West Campus; University placed on approved list of American Association of University Women.

1935

University became charter member of the Southern University Conference.

1936

Evening College made distinct administrative unit.

1938

School of Business organized.

1939

Silver anniversary of Brite College of the Bible celebrated.

1940

R.H. Foster, president of the board (until1941).

1941

M.E. Sadler, president (until 1959, when he became chancellor until 1965); L.D. Anderson, president of the board (until 1954); Brite College accredited by American Association of Theological Schools.

1942

Foster Dormitory completed.

1943

University reorganized into seven schools and colleges.

1946

Harris College of Nursing added as eighth academic unit.

1947

Tom Brown Dormitory, E.M. Waits Dormitory completed.

1948

Jubilee celebration of 75th anniversary of the University; $5 million endowment achieved; stadium enlarged to 33,500 capacity.

1949

Ed Landreth Hall and Auditorium (College of Fine Arts) completed.

1950

TCU Summer School in Mexico established at Monterrey Tech.

1952

Winton-Scott Hall of Science completed.

1953

Stadium enlarged to 37,000 capacity; old field house burned.

1954

Religion Center completed; Milton Daniel, chairman of board (until 1958).

1955

Brown-Lupton Student Center, Pete Wright Dormitory completed; Jarvis Dormitory renovated.

1956

TCU-Amon G. Carter Stadium expanded to 47,000 capacity; Ranch Management Program established.

1957

Dan D. Rogers Hall (School of Business) completed; Milton E. Daniel and Colby D. Hall dormitories completed.

1958

Lorin A. Boswell, chairman of the board (until 1969); estate of Milton E. Daniel left in trust to University; Mary Couts Burnett Library enlarged; Sherley Dormitory completed, new Clark Dormitory built on site of Goode Hall; Bailey Building (old Brite Hall) renovated for College of Education.

1959

First Ph.D. programs approved; title of chief administrative officer changed from president to chancellor.

1960

M.E. Sadler Hall (administration and classrooms) completed on site of original Clark Hall; first students enrolled in Ph.D. programs in physics and psychology.

1961

Dave Reed Hall (old Administration Building) rebuilt for classrooms, faculty offices, second cafeteria; sale of adjacent Worth Hills Golf Course to the University approved by voters of the city.

1962

Daniel-Meyer Coliseum built, seating 7,166; Ph.D. programs in English and mathematics inaugurated; University elected to membership in College Entrance Examination Board and as a sponsor of the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies; Computer Center put into operation; Institute of Behavioral Research established.

1963

Worth Hills Golf Course acquired for future expansion; Brown-Lupton Health Center completed; Ph.D. program in chemistry begun.

1964

Five residence halls and cafeteria completed on Worth Hills property.

1965

Ph.D. program in history inaugurated; endowment of more than $27 million reached; M.E. Sadler retired as chancellor (July 1); James M. Moudy elected chancellor and inaugurated November 19.

1966

Approved faculty leaves with pay; authorized creation of "The TCU Press;" received $3.4 million matching grant from Sid W. Richardson Foundation toward construction of Science-Research Center.

1967

Named School of Business M. J. Neeley School of Business; began participation in TAGER (The Association for Graduate Education and Research in North Texas) TV network; approved formation of a Faculty Assembly and Senate; Brown-Lupton Student Center expanded.

1968

Adopted new academic calendar with fall term ending before Christmas; established Pastoral Care and Training Center.

1969

M.J. Neeley chairman of the board (until 1972); approved New Century Program and goal; Leo Potishman Tennis Center completed; Bellaire North and Princeton House apartments purchased for student housing.

1970

Completed Sid W. Richardson Physical Sciences Building, Annie Richardson Bass Building for Harris College of Nursing and Home Economics and a new living-learning residence hall (named during 1971-72 session for Dr. and Mrs. Solomon Brachman); Phi Beta Kappa Chapter established February 24.

1971

Completed Cyrus K. and Ann C. Rickel Health and Physical Education Building and new women's residence hall (named during 1972-73 session for Mary Lipscomb Wiggins); formed Centennial Commission to plan 100th year observance during 1973; Friends of the Texas Christian University Libraries organized January 28; Tom Brown Hall renovated and refurnished.

1972

Administration reorganized into two major areas: academic and support, each headed by a vice chancellor; Theodore P. Beasley elected chairman of the board; Waits and Milton Daniel halls renovated and refurnished.

1973

Celebrated centennial year; $35 million achieved during New Century campaign for capital, operating and endowment funds; "Old Gym" remodeled for Division of Ballet, "Little Gym" as annex for the Department of Art.

1974

William C. Conner elected chairman of the board; Chancellor J. M. Moudy received grant from the Danforth Foundation for leave of absence during spring semester, Vice Chancellor and Provost Howard G. Wible named acting chancellor during that time.

1975

Miller Speech and Hearing Clinic Building completed.

1976

Mary Potishman Lard Tennis Center completed for public and University use; third floor added to Annie Richardson Bass Building.

1977

Addison and Randolph Clark Society established to recognize donors of $1,000 or more annually; Texas Growth Companies Endowment Fund established.

1978

Ground broken for J.M. Moudy Building for Visual Arts and Communication (dedicated March 26, 1982); new building for Starpoint School completed.

1979

Graduate program reorganized by school/college, replacing Graduate School; Bayard Friedman elected chairman of the board; Martin-Moore Hall named; James M. Moudy retired as chancellor, succeeded on September 5 by William E. Tucker (inaugurated April 16, 1980).

1980

Brite Divinity School passes $7.5 million goal of its first fund-raising campaign; goal of $10 million to expand library achieved.

1981

Library collection passes 1 million items; $5 million endowment for financial aid received from Theodore and Beulah Beasley Foundation.

1982

The 40,000th graduate received a degree at summer commencement; addition almost doubling size of the library occupied (dedicated March 25, 1983).

1983

Endowment reaches and passes $100 million for first time; appointments made to The 1990s Project: A Commission on TCU and the Future; Chancellor William E. Tucker elected to two-year term as moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

1984

Expansion of building for M.J. Neeley School of Business approved; suggestions received from The 1990s Project; football team gained national attention and played in Bluebonnet Bowl.

1985

Limitations placed on freshman, transfer enrollments; duties of vice chancellor for administrative services and student affairs divided among two positions as fifth vice chancellor is added.

1986

Construction of new residence hall approved.

1987

Groundbreaking for Tandy Hall expansion of M.J. Neeley School of Business and Moncrief Hall, a new residence hall; School of Fine Arts re-named College of Fine Arts and Communication; new University Curriculum Requirements approved.

1988

Academic Services Center put into full operation; Moncrief Hall dedicated.

1989

Tandy Hall dedicated; endowment passes $200 million.

1990

John Roach elected chairman of the board; 50,000th graduate receives degree; more than $3 million in gifts assure permanence of Ranch Management Program; priorities for academic initiatives in the 1990s include a program in engineering, stronger focus on Ph.D. programs, strengthened international study opportunities for faculty and students.

1991

Master plan for the physical campus completed and approved; central dining hall renovated for $2.2 million.

1992

First freshmen admitted to new engineering program; Winthrop Rockefeller Building for Ranch Management completed (dedicated January, 1993); first "global-theme semester" held and student exchange with Universidad de las Americas-Puebla approved; $15 million bequest from estates of B.M. and Frances Britain received.

1993

Board of Trustees approves planning of a comprehensive fund-raising campaign, the first in a quarter century; endowment passes $400 million.

1994

The Walsh Complex, a $2.5 million expansion of the athletics weight training and rehabilitation center, is built; when the Southwest Conference acts to disband after 1995, TCU joins the Western Athletic Conference, then wins the SWC football co-championship and plays in the Independence Bowl; The Next Frontier Campaign is publicly announced with a $100 million goal, with $61 million raised or committed during the "silent phase" of the five-year campaign.

1995

Ground is broken for the $6 million Dee J. Kelly Alumni and Visitors Center (dedicated at Homecoming 1996); computer/information technology extended to all residence hall rooms; pre-enrollment Frog Camp becomes integral to freshman program.

1996

First class of engineering students awarded degrees; faculty expanded by 10 primarily to enhance freshman seminar program; ground broken for $11.5 million F. Howard and Mary D. Walsh Center for the Performing Arts; renewal/reconfiguration of residence halls approved.

1997

The combined TCU/Brite Endowment exceeds $750 million after completion of the five-year Next Frontier Campaign, which raised more than $126 million; Pete Wright Hall razed to make way for the Tom Brown/Pete Wright residential community, completed in 1998; the Department of Engineering receives accreditation; TCU establishes partnership with Columbia University to send students to Biosphere II.

1998

The Mary D. and F. Howard Walsh Center for Performing Arts dedicated; the TCU London Centre, the University's first permanent overseas facility, opens its doors to the first class of students in the fall; Chancellor William E. Tucker retires after 19 years of service, paving the way for the University's ninth chancellor, Michael R. Ferrari; the Department of Music renamed the School of Music and becomes one of the country's few all-Steinway schools. TCU defeats USC in the Sun Bowl, 28-19.

1999

Tom Brown/Pete Wright Residential Complex, housing upperclassmen in apartment style quarters, opens in January; work begins on the William E. and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center; Commission on the Future of TCU kicks off in fall; Lowdon track is dedicated; ground is broken for 35,000 square-foot Justin Athletics Center; Frogs beat East Carolina 28-14 in the Mobile Alabama Bowl; trustees approve an aggressive program to improve classroom technology and hire 21 new faculty.

2000

Schools and colleges reorganized from five to seven—AddRan College of Liberal Arts, M.J. Neeley School of Business, the Bob Schieffer College of Communication, the College of Education, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Health & Human Sciences, and the College of Science & Engineering; the James A. Ryffel Entrepreneurship Center established; TCU parents Steve and Sarah Smith donate $10.5 million for an entrepreneurship facility, the largest private gift in University history; Brite's Leibrock Village dedicated; Runningback LaDainian Tomlinson becomes the third Horned Frog to run for the Heisman Trophy, placing fourth in the nation in the final vote and earning the Doak Walker Award; the Frogs end with an 10-2 football season and go to their third consecutive bowl game—the Mobile Alabama Bowl; in November, the University signs an agreement with the Universidad de las Americas-Puebla, Mexico , allowing students from both universities to earn degrees in communication from both institutions simultaneously.

2001

Spring closes the most successful athletics program in school history as the University leaves the Western Athletic Conference and joins Conference USA; in February, TCU Board of Trustees approved a new flat-rate pricing structure that better aligns TCU with other prominent private universities and reflects the value of the complete "TCU Experience"; Gary Patterson becomes the 29th head coach in the history of the TCU football program and takes the Horned Frogs to their fourth consecutive post-season appearance—The galleryfurniture.com Bowl; Harris College of Nursing launches an online master's degree to allow RNs with a Bachelor of Science degree to complete their master's degree in two years, and RNs with an Associate of Arts degree to complete the program in three; the women's basketball team wins the WAC regular season title and post-season tournament, earning the Lady Frogs their first-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament; in May, the James A Ryffel Center for Entrepreneurial Studies sponsors the first-ever Entrepreneurial Summit, a networking and idea-sharing event; construction begins on the Sarah and Steve Smith Entrepreneurs Hall; M.J. Neely School of Business launches a Center for Supply and Value Chain Studies; Men's Head Basketball Coach Billy Tubbs announces he will step down at the end of the season. He compiles a 156-95 record, including a regular season WAC division title in eight seasons; Mary Couts Burnett Library expands its computer lab to 100 computers and adds Bistro Burnett, a coffee bar in the library's foyer; the University begins a three-year $30 million plan to upgrade about 80 classrooms and laboratories with new lighting, ceilings, furniture and audio-visual equipment and renovate several residence halls.

2002

The M.J. Neely School of Business makes plans for the Luther King Capital Management Center for Financial Studies; the College of Education announces a Center for Urban Education that will form a coalition of teachers, principals, and TCU faculty and students to turn neglected inner-city schools into thriving environments; Mary Couts Burnett Library establishes Information Commons, a combination reference help desk and computer troubleshooting center; construction begins on 2,220-seat Lupton Stadium, the new home for the baseball team; William E. and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center opens for engineering, computer science and mathematics; Neil Dougherty becomes the 18th head coach in the history of TCU men's basketball; a School of Anesthesia opens within the College of Health & Human Sciences; the football team wins its fifth consecutive bowl game, beating Colorado State 17-3 in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, ending the season 10-2 with a No. 22 ranking.

2003

The Steve and Sarah Smith Entrepreneurs Hall opens; Victor J. Boschini, Jr. becomes TCU's 10th leader when he takes office as chancellor; Chancellor Michael R. Ferrari retires after leading the University for five years; D. Newell Williams becomes the eighth president of Brite Divinity School; Monnig Meteorite Gallery opens; Baseball Coach Lance Brown, TCU's all-time winningest coach, retires after 17 years and 517 victories, Jim Schlossnagle is named his successor and the new stadium hosts its first game; the freshman class was the largest and smartest group to date at 1,596 with an average SAT of 1168; the Frogs lost to Boise State 34-31 in the Inaugural Fort Worth Bowl after an 11-1 season pushed them into the national media spotlight with talk of a BCS game if they went undefeated; tuition rose to $19,700, a 11.9 percent increase; Vision in Action: Planning TCU's Future was launched to develop a long-range strategic plan; purple gowns were instituted for graduation.

2004

Victor J. Boschini, Jr. is inaugurated as the 10th chancellor; R. Nowell Donovan is named provost; D. Newell Williams is inaugurated as the eighth president of Brite Divinity School; TCU accepts a bid to join the Mountain West Conference; Daniel Short is named dean of the M.J. Neeley School of Business; Chancellor Emeritus James Mattox Moudy dies; Bronson Davis, vice chancellor for advancement for 14 years, retires; architectural plans are drawn up for a new Veterans Plaza; Baseball team makes regionals for the second time ever.

2005

Approval for a $100 million Vision in Action plan to add four residence halls, a University union and a green-space commons to the heart of the campus; construction begins on renovation and expansion to triple the size of the College of Education; Veterans Plaza memorial to alumni and students erected; M.J. Neely School of Business ranked 18th in the nation by the Wall Street Journal Guide ; journalism school named for Bob Schieffer; new core curriculum instituted; football wins Mountain West Championship and Houston Bowl; baseball wins last Conference USA Championship; women's basketball makes sixth consecutive appearance in NCAA Tournament; baseball pitcher Lance Broadway drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the first round.

2006

Commencement moved back to campus after four years, and split into two ceremonies to handle the crowds; TCU Bookstore on Berry Street moved into temporary trailers while the store’s building underwent a second-floor expansion, but the building subsequently burned to the ground during the night; Frog Fountain is dismantled for renovation as construction on the newly announced Campus Commons gets underway; ground is broken in April for the new J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation Education Complex that will include the renovation of the historic Bailey Building and addition of the Steve and Betsy Palko Building; GrandMarc at Westberry Place, a public/private partnership, opened its doors as student housing on campus; TCU announced plans for an indoor sports practice facility and a new bookstore; TCU became the first school in Texas to adopt an all-paperless application process.

2007

A policy change required all sophomores and freshmen to live on campus beginning in the fall, when two of the four dorms in the Campus Commons opened; the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility and Cox Field opened in May; the Mabee Education Complex for the newly named College of Education opened in July. Trustees approve a $315 million budget for 2007-08, which included $6.4 million in additional financial aid. A drilling rights agreement is signed with Four Sevens Resources Co., Ltd., signaling intent by the University to allow gas drilling in the Barnett Shale on campus. The largest incoming class, 1,660 students, with the highest SAT average scores (1759) to date, arrived in the fall. A refurbished Frog Fountain was installed in December. Jarvis Dormitory and Clark Hall closed for renovations in December. When Jarvis reopens in 2008 as Jarvis Hall, it will house only offices.

2008

A 34,000-square-foot TCU Barnes & Noble bookstore opened at the corner of University Drive and Berry Street in January. Students moved into the Teresa and Luther King and Mary and Robert J. Wright residences halls on the Campus Commons. The public phase of the Campaign for TCU kicked off in April. The Brown-Lupton Student Center was razed in July and construction began on the Clarence and Kerry Scharbauer Hall for the Honors College and AddRan College of Humanities & Social Sciences. The Brown-Lupton University Union opened. Clark and Jarvis Halls reopened, though Jarvis is now office space. Sherley Hall was closed for renovation. The incoming Class of 2010 boasted the highest average SAT score (1754) in school history. An addition to Moudy South, which will house a convergence lab for the Schieffer, was announced in late fall.

2009

An addition to the Starpoint School/KinderFrogs building opened in February. The John V. Roach Honors College was established. Milton-Daniel Hall closed for renovation. Sherley Hall reopened in August as an all-freshman residence hall following a year-long renovation. Construction of an Admission building is announced. Amon Carter Stadium has a record crowd of 50,307 for the game against Utah on Oct. 31, which the Frog won, 55-28. ESPN's College Game Day was on hand that day too, another campus first. The Frogs, under Coach Gary Patterson have the first perfect regular season since 1938 (12-0). Fort Worth gets on board, turning the Trinity River purple and lighting up downtown in purple lights. Finishing the season at #5 in the nation, the Frogs earn a spot in their first BCS tournament, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in Arizona.

2010

In January the No. 4 Frogs fell 17-10 to No. 6 Boise State in the 2010 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona. It was the Frogs’ first-ever Bowl Championship Series appearance. Scharbauer Hall, completed in 2009, was opened to classes for the spring 2010 semester. The hall also houses the AddRan College of Liberal Arts and the John V. Roach Honors College. Reed Hall, which was renovated to match the newly-constructed Scharbauer Hall, is re-opened in the summer. In February the Bob Schieffer College of Communication dedicated its new $5.6 million convergence lab, bringing together the Skiff, TCU News Now and Image magazine operations in one newsroom. In May "Range Duty," an 800-pound bronze sculpture depicting a cowboy at a campfire, was added to the front lawn of the Winthrop Rockefeller Building for Ranch Management. In June the Athletic department added the Jane Justin Soccer Fieldhouse to its roster of facilities. The $7.9 million, 14,500-square-foot Mary Wright Admission Center opened its doors in August. The facility’s use of geothermal energy for heating, cooling and water temperature systems has earned it LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. After a year-long renovation, Milton Daniel residence hall re-opened in August to house students in the John V. Roach Honors College. In November TCU accepted an invitation to join the Big East Conference effective July 1, 2012. On Dec. 5, 2010, the west grandstand of Amon G. Carter Stadium was imploded to make way for the planned $105 million renovation project. In December the TCU Jazz Ensemble was among the first U.S. college groups to travel to Cuban when it performed at the Havana International Jazz Festival. U.S. News & World Report ranked the Neeley School of Business in the Top 10 schools for MBAs with the Most Financial Value at Graduation in a 2010 survey.

At the 97th Rose Bowl on Dec. 31 in Pasadena, TCU beat the University of Wisconsin 21-19. The victory followed two days of Los Angeles festivities including New Year’s Eve party for alums, a Frog Bash, a pep rally and the Tournament of Roses parade. At home, 7,000 local fans gathered at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum with Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief and State Senator Wendy Davis ’90 for a celebration that was televised live.

2011

TCU was included in The Princeton Review’s Best 376 Colleges, 2012 Edition. Only about 15 percent of America’s 2,500 four-year colleges and three outside the U.S. are profiled in the guide. TCU also was included in The Princeton Review’s Guide to 311 Green Colleges, 2011 edition, for the environmentally responsible practices. In November, TCU received approval from its Board of Trustees' Executive Committee to renovate the east side of Amon G. Carter Stadium immediately following the conclusion of the 2011 football season. In August the inaugural Frogs First orientation, welcomed the Class of 2015. Also in August, the School for Classical & Contemporary Dance moved into the newly renovated Erma Lowe Hall (formerly the Ballet Building); the official opening was celebrated in October. On Oct. 10 the Board of Trustees unanimously approved an invitation to join Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech in the Big 12 conference, effective July 1, 2012. In November construction of two residence halls in Worth Hills was announced as part of a multi-phase plan to create a new residential Worth Hills Village. The halls will accommodate about 400 students with completion expected by August 2013. In December a two-ton wrecking ball finished its work on the last of the old Amon G. Carter Stadium in preparation for further renovation, completion is scheduled for late summer 2012, well before the first home game against Grambling State. Also in December, a time capsule containing TCU memorabilia was buried inside a column on the west side of the stadium. After failing to earn a bowl berth in BCS standings, TCU was picked for the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. The Frogs’ 31-24 victory over Louisiana Tech gave TCU its third straight Mountain West Conference title.

2012

The W. Oliver and Nell A. Harrison Building of Brite Divinity School opened in January. The TCU Board of Trustees approved the next phase of Vision in Action, called the Academy of Tomorrow, in February. Construction on the new academic building and an addition to Annie Richardson Bass Hall began in the fall. The Campaign for TCU concluded in May with a total of $434,103,887 raised. Construction began on two new residence halls in Worth Hills, at the corner of Bellaire Drive North and Stadium Drive. Ol’ Rip, a new horned frog statue, was installed between Reed Hall and Scharbauer Hall in April. Membership in the Big 12 Conference kicked off July 1. A completely renovated Amon G. Carter Stadium opened in September, and Gary Patterson became TCU’s winningest coach with his 110th victory at the first home game of the season against Grambling State.

2013

With a freshman class featuring some of the highest SAT and ACT scores in TCU history, the University remained the second most selective school in Texas, behind only Rice University. The student-faculty ratio was an enviable 13:1, and the freshman-to-sophomore retention rate approached 90 percent. The Chronicle of Higher Education listed TCU among its "Great Colleges to Work For," and The Princeton Review ranked TCU at No. 15 in the nation for Best College Dorms. The Greek Circle of Excellence, built to celebrate a half-century of Greek-letter societies at TCU, was dedicated. The Pre-Health Professions Program was elevated to the Pre-Health Professions Institute. The Neeley School of Business, recognized by The Economist as having the world’s best MBA faculty, celebrated its 75th anniversary. Three graduate programs enrolled their first students: the Master of Social Work, the MBA for Energy Professionals and the Master of Science in Supply Chain Management. Work continued on the Intellectual Commons, including construction of Rees-Jones Hall, TCU’s first interdisciplinary academic building, and an addition to the Annie Richardson Bass Building. Two residence halls opened in the Worth Hills Development, Marion Hall and Pamela and Edward Clark Hall, while a third was under construction.

2014

U.S. News & World Report placed TCU No. 76 among national universities, while Forbes named the University one of its “Rising Stars: 10 Top Colleges to Watch.” Further evidence of TCU’s academic excellence was the selection of six Horned Frogs as Fulbright Scholars. For the fourth consecutive year, the University was on The Chronicle of Higher Education's “Great Colleges to Work For” list. With 17,000 applications for the Class of 2018, the admission rate was in the “highly selective” category. On the east campus, a classical new entrance to the Mary Couts Burnett Library was constructed, and work began on a technology-rich reimagining of the library. Rees-Jones Hall opened in the Intellectual Commons, as did an addition to the Annie Richardson Bass Building. On the west campus, Marlene Moss Hays Hall was the latest facility to open in the Worth Hills residential development. As part of TCU’s Quality Enhancement Plan to internationalize the University, the fall 2014 focus of Discovering Global Citizenship was the Middle East and Central Asia. The first of the “great themes” courses, which examine critical challenges facing the planet, addressed water issues.

2015     

A multipurpose building opens in Worth Hills. The university endowment reaches $1.5 billion. TCU and the University of North Texas Health Science Center sign a memorandum of understanding to create a new M.D. school in Fort Worth. The baseball team makes its third College World Series appearance in six years. The renovated Mary Couts Burnett Library opens in the Intellectual Commons, while an ambitious new complex for the Neeley School of Business is on the drawing board. After an injury-plagued 2015 football season, the Frogs win the Alamo Bowl with a 31-point comeback to earn a No. 7 postseason national ranking. The Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena in the Daniel-Meyer Athletic Complex is dedicated. Work begins on Greek Village in Worth Hills. The Class of 2019 — more than 2,000 strong — continues a trend of excellence with the highest academic credentials in TCU history.

2016

Significant events in the University’s history continue as TCU opts out of Senate Bill 11 and prohibits guns on campus. Dr. Stuart Flynn is selected as the founding dean of the new M.D. School being created by TCU and the University of North Texas Health Science Center. William and Sue Parrish donate life-sized bronze statues to commemorate TCU Football icons—Davey O’Brien, Leo “Dutch” Meyer and Gary Patterson. Bob Schieffer “retires” The Schieffer Symposium in the News, and establishes TCU’s most generous and academically prestigious scholarship. The Art Galleries secure a hand-painted chromogenic print titled Dead Cock and Contemplative Magpie, 2007 for the University’s Permanent Art Collection and TCU’s Percussion Orchestra wins the International Percussion Ensemble Competition for the fourth time.

2017

Construction began in the summer on a re-envisioned Greek Village in Worth Hills that will support almost 800 students in 24 chapter houses. Nearby, new residence halls and the newly named King Family Commons enhance the full TCU experience for upper division students. Senior Caylin Moore was one of 32 students from across the United States to receive the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship—only the second person in TCU history to be selected for the honor. The TCU Institute of Child Development changed its name to the Karyn Purvis Institute of Child Development at TCU in honor of its late founder. The Neeley School of Business received Top 25 rankings for its undergraduate, entrepreneurial studies and master’s in accounting programs from Public Accounting Report, Entrepreneur and Bloomberg Businessweek. TCU MBA programs made the Top 10 as defined by The Economist and The Princeton Review. Fourteen of TCU’s varsity sports reached the postseason. TCU men’s and women’s basketball began play in the sparkling new Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena, which also hosted a record three TCU commencement ceremonies in May. In baseball, the Frogs again won the Big 12 Championship and went to the College World Series. The Chronicle of Higher Education named TCU a “Great College to Work For” for the sixth consecutive year.