2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog

Admission Policies

Admission to the University

Qualified undergraduate students are admitted to the University rather than to a specific program, school or college. Application deadlines and notification dates for freshman and transfer applicants are stated in the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Deadlines for applying for financial aid may be obtained by contacting the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Health Record and Insurance

All students under the age of 22 years, must provide evidence of having been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis (MCV4 or MPSV4) within the five-year period preceding the first day of the semester in which the student is currently enrolling and at least 10 days prior to moving into campus housing. The TCU Health Center requires an immunization record on file for each student. The immunization record must show proof of two MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccinations.

All new students, regardless of academic classification, must have a Report of Medical History on file in the Brown-Lupton Health Center. All undergraduate students taking nine or more semester hours are required to have health insurance either through the TCU Student Health Insurance Plan or through another individual or family plan. Students who do not choose to participate in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan must waive participation online by entering before a specific deadline the name of their private insurance carrier.

Residence Hall Requirement

Unmarried students under 21 years of age classified as freshmen or sophomore at the time of registration and enrolling for nine or more semester hours are required to live on campus unless living at their parents' residence. Students who are 17 years old or younger at the time of registration will be approved to live in residence halls on a case-by-case basis.

International Visa Students

Refer to the section in this catalog titled International Student Admission (p. 10).

Non-Discrimination Statement

TCU is committed to providing a positive learning and working environment free from discrimination and harassment. In support of this commitment, TCU prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, and any other basis protected by law. Inquiries about TCU’s policies and compliance with Title IX, The Age Discrimination Act of 1975, or the aspects of TCU’s equal opportunity or affirmative action programs should be directed to: Dr. Darron Turner, Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs, TCU Box 297090, Jarvis Hall 228, Fort Worth, TX 76129, ext.5557, d.turner@tcu.edu.

Examination and Portfolio Assessment Credit - Detail

Through several methods, students may earn academic credit for college-level learning by taking an examination in the appropriate area. Credit granted usually can be used to satisfy specific and general degree requirements. Refer to the section in this catalog titled Bachelor Degree Requirements (p. 41).

The credit by examination procedures are reviewed and updated annually. A current brochure is available from the Office of Admission; information is also available online at admissions.tcu.edu/apply/credit/.

On a limited basis, portfolio assessment is another method used to earn academic credit for college-level learning. A portfolio is a formal, written document including a résumé, detailed personal history, description of skills and competencies, and documentation to support the student's request for credit. Only limited credit has been approved using this method. More information on the portfolio assessment program may be obtained by contacting Office of Extended Education at 817.257.7130.

Military Service Credit Admission Information

The University follows, with limitations, the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) as published in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in granting credit for military service schools.

Courses must be in the baccalaureate/associate degree category as defined by the ACE guide. This requirement precludes acceptance of vocational, technical or certificate category courses, or military occupational specialties or job experience.

For consideration of credit from military service schools, the applicant must submit the following military records:

  • Certified original of the DD Form 295, or
  • Copy of the DD Form 214, or
  • Course completion certificates, or
  • A Community College of the Air Force transcript.

The Office of the Registrar will assist persons eligible for veterans education assistance benefits.

Nonresidential Coursework

The University examines all nonresidential learning experiences and grants credit on a case-by-case basis.