2019-2020 Graduate Catalog

Withdrawal from Class

The purpose of student-initiated withdrawal from courses is to enhance the learning opportunity in a program of study. On recognition that a student may lack the background needed for the mastery of course content, the subject matter in a course does not match student need or interest as anticipated, or that course requirements will limit effective appropriation of learning in a semester's overall program of study, a student may officially withdraw from a course.

Mere absence from a class does not constitute withdrawal. In order to withdraw from a course, a student must go through official established procedure.

Students may withdraw from classes with no academic penalty through 70 percent of class days. The last day to declare P/NC will be the day following the last day to withdraw. (Exam days are considered class days. The last day to withdraw will be the last whole day not to exceed 70 percent.) Consult the official academic calendar for withdraw dates during summer terms. The date of withdrawal for all purposes, including tuition adjustment, shall be the date of official withdrawal. No withdrawals are allowed after this date during the fall and spring semesters, or a comparable period during a shorter term.

There will be no withdrawals after this date during the fall and spring semesters, or a comparable period during a shorter term.

Any student who experiences unusual hardship may seek special consideration through a written petition to the dean of the school/college of his/her major. Petitions should, where possible, be documented with supporting statements from a doctor, counselor or family member. That a student is doing unsatisfactory work in a course will not be taken as sufficient reason for special consideration. If, in the opinion of the dean, the request is justified, a grade of "Q" (dropped by the dean's permission) may be assigned by the dean after consultation with the instructor of the course, the chair of the department and the dean of the school/college in which the course is offered. Any dean assigning a "Q" will notify the Office of the Registrar.